Well it’s finally here… or should I say “a few more days” till it’s mandatory. Facebook is changing their format once again. Not a bad thing because most of the new features are great for fan pages, but, it is another task you can’t ignore if you have a Facebook page for your brand or business. And, if you are a web page designer, you are probably fairly busy right now.
Changes in Rules
You can have a “cover photo” (851 x 315 pixels) that spans the top of your page. This is a pretty impressive amount of space, however, unlike before, there are some Facebook policies and rules for this photo…
- No purchase or price information in the photo (such as: such as “40% off” or “Download it at our website”)
- No contact information like your web URL or business address
- No references to “like this page” or arrows pointing upward. (Really?)
- And, no calls to action (tell your friends, get it now, etc)
Well right about now you are probably thinking “I might as well just put a picture of my dog up there!” Obviously, Facebook wants your business page and business fans to stay on Facebook. The rules are fairly strict (IMO) but in most cases you can still portray your brand or business with a good picture. Just give it some thought… or look at what others are doing.
You had a range of sizes you could use previously but now the new profile picture (most likely your logo) has to be a high quality image that scales well from 180 x 180 pixels to 32 x 32 pixels. That’s because Facebook has decided you get a square… regardless of the fact that most logos are rectangular.
Now you can upload milestone photos to depict your company time line or important events. These dimensions are 843 x 403 pixels.
Larger App Width
Page app width can now be adjusted to be “Narrow” (520px) or “Wide” (810px) in the Developer App under “Edit App”. App images are (111 x 74 pixels) as they appear on your page.
Summary of New Sizes
- Cover Photo: 851 x 315 pixels
- Profile Pic: 180 x 180 pixels
- Profile Pic on Posts: 32 x 32 pixels
- Milestone Photos (timeline): 843 x 403 pixels
- App Pages: 520px OR 810px
- App Photos on Cover Page: 111 x 74 pixels
Fan Page Samples
Here’s how some big brands (and not so big) are creating new Facebook fan pages: